User Experience Design, Information Architecture, Prototyping, Usability Testing, User Research; Certified Scrum Product Owner, Product Management, Web Analytics
SOFTWARE & LANGUAGES
AppFolio, Inc. Santa Barbara,CA | January 2015 – Present
Senior User Experience Designer
- Increase the tenant portal adoption conversion rate from 16% to 49% by using A/B and multivariate testing on email communications, which increased the online payment adoption and positively affected the bottom line
- Lead the responsive redesign of property management owner portal, and added the content-rich features such as home inspection report sharing and owner contributions to increase owner engagement
- Lead the Payment team’s design initiative to increase in-app adoption of Owner/Vendor e-Check feature by working with dev team on story mapping, mob design, proto persona building, prototyping, and design studio, bringing a stunning 40.9% conversion and $40,000 revenue per month after the product launch
NVIDIA Corporation. Santa Clara, CA | August 2012 – January 2015
Senior Interaction Designer
- One of the major designers working on NVIDIA’s first mobile gaming devices SHIELD Portable and SHIELD Tablet, from concept discovery to product launch, rated as the “best mobile gaming console” by TechCrunch and “best handheld gaming console available” by Forbes
- Defined NVIDIA normalized controller mapping; profile Android OS, apps, and games to better work with the game console to enhance the gamer experience on mobile platforms
- Led the UX design for the open source Miracast wireless display technology, making game playing and movie watching on the TV from Android devices possible
- Designed Tegra Android apps and widgets running on the next generation Tegra devices
lynda.com, Inc. (Now LinkedIn) Carpinteria, CA | March 2010 – August 2012
User Experience Designer
- Led lynda.com’s e-Commerce redesign initiative and re-created member acquisition experience through visual refreshment, interaction design enhancements, and prototype user testing
- Led the user experience design for lynda.com’s iPhone and iPad apps; worked closely with Engineering from ideation to product launch, bringing in over 120,000 App Store downloads
- Defined the fundamental information architecture and designed lynda.com’s mobile site, bringing users learning on the go across mobile platforms: iPhone, Android, BlackBerry, and Windows Mobile; lead and product managed the site alpha and beta launches that brought approximately 6TB of consumer data consumption every month
- Product managed and designed the lynda.com Microsoft Office Ribbon Plug-in and supported lyndaEnterprise and Sales initiatives
- Defined the information architecture and designed the author portal, a one-stop portal for lynda.com’s potential and existing authors to view online royalty statements and the author handbook
- Led the user research initiatives, set up the first usability environment, and brought in user research awareness and user-centered design process to the work culture.
- Managed one direct report and conducted in-house usability testing, remote testing, automated user testing, and guerilla testing to support product design
Bargain Network, Inc. Santa Barbara, CA | July 2008 – March 2010
- An important contributor to launch the website ForeclosedHomes.com in a quick paced environment and under strict deadlines
- Created website/application deliverables including conceptual diagrams, site maps, interaction flows, wireframes, functional specifications, use cases, and content inventories
- Identified, documented, and monitored the functional aspects, standards, and style architecture of the websites
- Conducted A/B, multivariate testing, track web analytics, conversion, and sales to define and prioritize user experience and ROI based projects and measure successes
- Set up the company’s 1st Usability Lab and conduct formal or guerilla user research via focus groups and usability tests to better serve product intent and overall usability, resulting in 48% increase in conversion and 17% increase in user satisfaction
- Created SEO friendly navigation, content, and page tagging that increased the total number of Google indexed pages from 2k to 86k in 2 months
University of Washington, Seattle, WA | September 2007 - June 2008
User-centered Engineering Education Research Associate II
Conducted workshops for junior/senior engineering students to build their online professional portfolio
Studied how professional portfolio can help students’ learning and knowledge transfer
Maintained lab and participant recruiting website, logistics; data management
Community Empowerment Network, Seattle, WA | January 2008 – September 2008
Web Content Lead (Contract)
Managed the written content for the website and ensured the content matches marketing strategy and priorities
Coordinated among web masters, writers, editors, and report to the President
Incaa Designs, Seattle, WA | April 2008 – July 2008
User Interface Architect (Contract) - Managed the information architecture of the organization’s website, and maintained the website update
- Designed data analysis code book and coding scheme, analyzed the user interface research study data
Cyrus Tang Foundation Anhui University Magazine, Hefei, China | September 2003 - July 2005
- Content planning and manuscript review, selection, and scheduling
- Editorial assistant supervision and budget management
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS & SPEAKING EVENTS
Kejun Xu (with NVIDIA UX team). Top Coder STEM Poster Design Contest Qualifier. Washington DC, November, 2013.
Kejun Xu. “Future of Mobile Gaming”. Tech in Motion Events, San Jose, CA, September 2013.
Kejun Xu. “Toss the Agile Rituals, Be Agile”. UXPA 2013, Washington DC, July 2013.
Kejun Xu. “Intro to User Experience” Guest speaking at University of Dayton, Dayton, Ohio, November, 2012.
Kejun Xu. “Think Big, Start Small, Focus on the Core: Lessons Learned from an Overdue Mobile Site”. IA Summit, New Orleans, LA, March 2012.
Kejun Xu. Review of Tidwell, Designing Interfaces, Technical Communication, Vol 51, no. 1, November 2011.
Kejun Xu. “UIE Web App Master Tour Take-away: Mobile Design” 9th Santa Barbara User Experience Meetup, Carpinteria, CA, June 23, 2011.
Kejun Xu. “Conversion Rates: Small Design Tweaks that Make a Difference” IA Summit, Phoenix, AZ, April, 2010.
Kejun Xu. “Showcase Of Web Design In China: From Imitation To Innovation” Smashing Magazine, March 15, 2010.
Kejun Xu. “Product Communication and Consumer Experience by Emotional Design” Proceedings of 73rd Association for Business Communication Annual Convention, Lake Tahoe, NV, Oct. 2008.
Carol Taylor, Kejun Xu, Ona Anicello, Scott Somohano & Judy Ramey. “Skimming the Surface: Understanding Real World Mobile Internet Use” Proceedings of Mobile HCI 2008, The Netherlands, September 2008.
Ph.D. course work in Human-Centered Design and Engineering
Department of Human-Centered Design and Engineering
University of Washington, Seattle, WA
M.S. in Technical Communication and Information Design, with honors
Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT), Chicago, IL
UX COMMUNITY SUPPORT
Organizer, Santa Barbara User Experience Meetup (meetup.com/SB-UX-Meetup), growing the member base from 3 to 160 members within a year and organizing featured speaker talks every other month. (2010-2012)
Conference proceedings reviewer, ACM CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. (2012-2013)
Judger, the annual Chicago STC Technical Publications, Art, and Online Competition. (2006-2007)